Friday, December 22, 2017

In Defense of Scrooge


The case presented against Ebenezer Scrooge last week was rock solid.  To escape conviction as a tight-fisted, stingy, hard, unfeeling man who cares for nothing and nobody other than Money, he is going to have to present a very strong, even unique, defense.  He doesn’t disappoint.
 
“I’m not the man I used to be.”
 
That’s it.  Scrooge does not—cannot—deny the witness of those who suffered most at his greedy hands.  He cannot change history.  He sadly admits that he lost many an opportunity to do good with his wealth, that he allowed riches to crowd out human companionship.
 
Yes, Scrooge actually enjoys keeping books and tracking money.  But that is not his crime; it is that it became his only passion. His business prospered while his soul shrank.
 
“I’m not the man I used to be.”
 
Ask the men he encountered on the street that one Christmas morning who were so taken by his kind demeanor that they spontaneously exclaimed, “Merry Christmas, sir!”  Or Bob Cratchit who the next morning became the beneficiary of a generous raise in salary.  Or Bob’s son, Tiny Tim, who, it might be said, owes his life to Ebenezer Scrooge.
 
“I’m not the man I used to be.”
 
We all have our “gifts”, our talents.  Scrooge and I find fulfillment in keeping financial records.  I enjoy writing this blog.  Bookkeeping and writing: two things I know most people would be loathe to do even for a salary.  I only hope that I’ve never let it interfere with doing the right thing and that it has never prevented me from experiencing love and friendship with fellow travelers on this planet.
 
Scrooge blew it, no doubt about that.  But he changed, and that changed the world around him into a better place.  No one could have predicted that outcome from Scrooge’s earlier days.  But that doesn’t matter.  It’s not how we start out, it’s how we end up.  And that we can say that has a great deal to do with the event we celebrate this week.
 
“I’m not the man I used to be.”
 

Merry Christmas to you.

 
Roger

 
“For unto us a Child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 NIV®*

 
*Scripture quotations taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version® NIV®
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™
Used by permission.  All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment