Friday, August 20, 2021

"Do You Have a Receipt for That?"

 

I was cutting the grass yesterday when my neighbor motioned me to her deck.  I stopped the mower and went to see what she wanted.  First she told me it was too hot to be outside pushing a lawn mower.  But then she said her freezer wasn’t working.  I probed for more details, and it turned out that it was really just the icemaker; it was producing few, if any, cubes.

That was a problem I knew something about, or at least one with which I had some experience.  A couple of years ago our new refrigerator had the exact same problem, so I told her what I thought she should do.

“Get the owner’s manual and call the manufacturer help line.  You just got the appliance; it will be under warranty.  When I had the same problem the manufacturer sent a local repairman.  He had to make two trips and order a new part, but we didn’t pay a penny.”

I saw her face drop, and I knew it had happened again: she had thrown away all her paperwork, including the owner’s manual.  She is elderly and tends to do that with everything.  She doesn’t want papers lying around.

I relate this story because it illustrates how a little organization can simplify life and save you money.  In her case, if she had kept the papers she could quickly have arranged a repairman to come diagnose and fix the problem.  Now she will have to search for the right number to call.  (It’s only been 24 hours since our conversation, and I’m still expecting her to call me for help with that.)  But manuals can also be a great aid in diagnosing problems and doing your own repairs when the fix is easy.

More than owner’s manuals, though, retaining receipts is a good idea, too.  It facilitates product returns in the short-term and can be proof of warranty coverage in the longer term.  And don’t forget that if you charged the purchase on a credit card, you might qualify for an extended warranty.  Some credit card companies will double the manufacturer’s warranty period up to one or two years. 

I’ve had that conversation with my neighbor, too.  I told her that she could get rebates from the electric company for having installed more energy efficient appliances.   For the multiple kitchen appliances she bought she could get back around $200.   I told her what she needed to do and even offered to help, but she didn’t want to pursue it.  She said she’d already gotten a good buy with the store’s sale/rebate program.  She’s not really rich and could use the rebate from the utility, but I knew the real problem: she didn’t keep the receipts and other information she would have needed to apply for the rebates.

I hope you are better at keeping your paperwork.  It can seem like a small matter—until you need it.  You don’t have to have papers “lying around”.  My wife bought an expandable folder to file all the appliance manuals, and I have a separate folder with all the home improvement receipts (which can come in handy if and when I sell the house).  I looked in the manuals folder the other day and we still had one for a ceiling fan I installed at our previous house.  So it makes sense to go through your folder occasionally to weed it out.

While we’re on the topic of record-keeping, I hope you also have a “grab and go” folder/box for all your other important papers.  Flash floods, wild fires, house fires, tornados, and even domestic violence scenarios…they are all good reasons to have a single place to go to pick up all your important papers and run, in a hurry if needed.  This might include passports, inventory of household goods, credit cards, licenses, etc.  Nowadays, a cell phone can be a great place to store information electronically or have a video record of the contents of your house for insurance replacement purposes.  You could even send all that electronically to a trusted relative that doesn’t live in the same area of the country as a sort of safe deposit box.  The important thing is to get yourself organized.  It can save (or make you) money and certainly make life easier, whether in a crisis or not.

Until next time,

Roger

“That night the king could not sleep, and he had a servant read him the records of what had happened since he had been king.” Esther 6:1 CEV

No comments:

Post a Comment